Friday 28 February 2014

Monthly Favourites | February 2014


Hey! So today's post is going to be my first ever monthly favourites post! Pretty exciting that we're almost in the third month of the year already. Monthly favourites are one of my favourite things to read on blogs or watch on Youtube as I just love a good nosey to find out what everyone else has been enjoying the last 30 odd days or so (well 28 days to be precise for this month!) February has been a really interesting month for beauty favourites for me as I have discovered some new loves while also rediscovering some oldies but goodies!


Marc Jacobs Honey.
First up, the perfume that I have been finding myself reaching for in February has been the ever so lovely Honey by Marc Jacobs. This perfume is quite a new discovery for me as I only recently received this as a gift for Christmas but I've worn it frequently over the last few weeks. I would describe this as a fresh florally scent that is perfect for everyday wear and currently has me dreaming of spring days around the corner. The design of the bottle follows in the fun and quirky footsteps of the other well known Marc Jacobs perfumes with its large white polka dots and flowers poking out at you. So not only does the perfume make you smell all sweet and lovely but it also brightens up your dressing table too. What more could you ask for in a perfume?


Real Tecnhiques Blush Brush.
February saw my brush collection expand somewhat, or should I say my Real Techniques collection? The release of their new retractable brushes had me stalking the isles of Boots (as if I needed an excuse) and this was when I decided it was finally time to pick up this brush. Ever since I have been asking myself why on earth didn't I pick this up sooner? I remember thinking that in the packaging it looks a little weirdly shaped but its shape actually makes it perfect for targeting the area of your cheeks your blush aims to reach so easily. You've heard the rave reviews so I will save you the repetition, but this brush is undoubtedly a must have and something I have thoroughly enjoyed using recently.


Essie Nail Polish in Fiji.
I don't know about you but during the colder spells my hands really suffer and with just a tiny amount of neglect they quickly become a bit of a nightmare - dry skin and nails that don't know if they are coming or going. Not ideal. So I've really been trying to make an effort to maintain better condition of my hands lately by regularly smothering them in hand cream and giving my nails some TLC whenever I can. Fiji by Essie has been the perfect addition to my efforts as its a very pretty, almost french manicure pink colour that looks really effortlessly put together. I find it a perfect nail polish for when  you don't want to draw too much attention to your nails (especially when they might be looking a little shorter than normal) but still want to pretty your hands up somehow.

The Body Shop Hair Chalk.
Probably the most fun discovery for me in February and that was the Body Shop's new hair chalks. Hair chalks are becoming increasingly popular especially now we are seeing Spring in and embracing more vibrant colours back into our lives and I just love this pink hair chalk from the Body Shop. I won't go into too much detail as I've already written a full review on these here.


Mac Creme Cup.
Creme Cup. You and I have a love hate relationship, but over the last month I have learnt to love you again. One minute I love Creme Cup, the next minute I hate it. Let me explain, on some days this lipstick it just washes me out and does nothing for me, especially at the moment where I'm so pale skinned. Appearing lifeless and washed out is never a great look is it? I see this lipstick on some people and it looks stunning, but when I go to put it on I can never expect how it is going to turn out on me. This has become the lipstick I throw on in a hurry or when I don't want to have to think too hard about what lipstick to wear. Another reason Creme Cup doesn't cut it for me is that strictly speaking I prefer a brighter, bolder lip - give me red or berry pink any day!  So you may be thinking right about now why is this in your monthly favourites then Grace? Well cue the solution to my problem, and my next favourite of the month...

Dior Addict Ultra Gloss in Pink Trench.
Sorting out through your makeup can be a rewarding task, especially when you find old treasures that you forgot you had like a Dior Addict lipgloss. This lipgloss probably goes back about five years from duty free holiday shopping many moons ago, as you may be able to see despite it being quite well used up is that this lip gloss is the perfect companion to Creme Cup. Pop this over the top of Creme Cup and it gives the prettiest effect, the addition of the lipgloss helps bring my lips back to life by adding a little shimmer - nothing too much as it isn't at all pigmented (see swatch below for reference.) I was also surprised by how lightweight it all felt I was worried that an already creamy lipstick and a lipgloss would be way too much, but the lipgloss itself isn't sticky but rather moisturising in fact. So if you're like me and find Creme Cup to be somewhat bland I would definitely recommend trying it out with a lipgloss - its changed the way I look at it now! 


L'Oreal Ultra Precision Super Liner.
Discovering this eyeliner has been a godsend, for this cack-handed lefty! I picked this up after reading Beth from Birds Words rave about it on her blog. Liquid eyeliner is one of those things that I really have to be in the mood to apply and I definitely go through stages of wearing it but ever since picking this up I have been reaching for liquid eyeliner much more often on an everyday basis. The applicator is so easy to use and helps create the most - as the name suggests - precise line that is perfect for a range of looks. For example I have been using this to define my eyes during the day but it can also create a more dramatic look too. What I quite like about it is that it doesn't feel ridgid to apply, like some liquid liners have a really straight nib that doesn't budge which I find so akward as I'm naturally a bit cack handed at times anyway. Not this eyeliner though, the applicator is flexible and I feel like it follows as you make a smooth motion. Another thing I've noticed about this is how dark it is which is another reason it helps make your eyes stand out so well.

Swatches taken in natural day light.
What have you been loving lately?

5 comments:

  1. Hello sweetie! Lovely blog post.

    I have nominated you for the Liebster Award- please check out my blog to see what to do.

    Thank you,
    Olivia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lovely!

    I have tagged you in the 'Procrastinating Beauty Blogger Tag', visit my post here to see what it's about; http://fairysocks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/procrastinating-beauty-blogger-tag.html

    Love your blog!

    Joyce x
    (www.fairysocks.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Creme Cup by MAC! I've been loving a similar shade from Revlon as well! X

    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I always appreciate reading any comments I receive :)