Tuesday 7 October 2014

Are We Makeup Addicts?


"You're addicted to makeup."
I was having a conversation when this comment was randomly thrown at me. It wasn't said as a criticism - in fact the same person had just complimented on how they thought my lipstick suited me (I was wearing Mac's Craving in case you were wondering :p) Their comment really made me think about things and I'm sure that others who read my blog from time to time have had similar comments made to them in the past as well.

I do realise that on my social media feed it may look like all I post is pictures of beauty products (although I would disagree as there is a sure balance of food/selfies/pugs) especially to all the IRL people that follow me - and I can see why some bloggers keep the fact they blog a secret as not everyone is understanding about it.

My answer?
Makeup is my interest. Its perfectly natural and healthy to have interests and I'm entitled to share that and be passionate about what I like. I'm sure that 99% of you who are reading this now are reading my blog for exactly the same reason - you are interested in beauty/makeup. Makeup makes me feel better about myself, its become part of a routine to me like cleaning my teeth or putting deodorant on - ok those exapmples are essentials and I'm not saying makeup is but you get the point. Makeup is a way of being fun and creative, its an outlet to express your mood or make a statement. Plus I've practically been collecting things since I could crawl, its part of who I am so naturally when I became interested in makeup it became something I could collect and watch grow.

So what if I'm 'addicted' to makeup? I'm sure we can all think of plenty of addicitons that are unhealthy and not very good for us that are far worse than makeup. What I'm doing isn't hurting anyone or anyone around me (except my purse from time to time but we'll save that story for another day.) I'm not trying to say that everyone needs to go out and buy this lipstick - I know that it isn't eveyone's cup of tea. I'm also not using makeup as a way to accept myself - I go out the house without makeup on frequently and the majority of the time I embrace the way my face looks when I do.

Take football - most, not all but most men love it. Have you ever heard someone say to a man 'cor you're addicted to football' no you have not. But hands up if you're a woman and someones said that you're addicted to makeup or some such comment. The word 'addicted' has negative stigma attached to it. Saying we're addicted to makeup is as if we have some embarrassing problem that we need to address or go to rehab for.

The beauty of the world is that we're all different and we all take interest in different things (thank god!) I just don't see why an interest in something as harmless as a bit of makeup has somehow gotten a bit of a negative label attached to it.

As I said before I like to see makeup as a collection of things that make me happy - and really what's so bad about that? If I'm 'addicted' to something that generally speaking makes me a bit happier, brings me a little bit of pleasure each day without damaging my body or anyone else's for that matter - then so be it. I confess - I'm a makeup addict.

QOTD: Are you a makeup addict?
 

1 comment:

  1. Completely agree, people for whatever reason seem to think whatever you post on social media is your entire life! It's not it's just an interesting part of it, and who cares if you like makeup more than the average joe! Each to their own is what I say! X

    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I always appreciate reading any comments I receive :)