Thursday 6 November 2014

Book Recommendation | The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes


Something a little different today on my blog, I'm bringing to you a book recommendation. I made a promise to myself that I would read more often once I finished my studying and its been so nice to pick up books that I actually enjoy and want to read for a change. I thought that I would write a few recommendations of books that I particularly enjoy and so I definitely knew that I would have to share my thoughts on Jojo Moyes' latest one which is called The One Plus One.

Having read a lot of Jojo's other books and loving them (particularly Me Before You) when I read the blurb of this latest one I've got to be completely honest it didn't entice me in as much as some of her others have done in the past. However I don't really pay too much attention to blurbs and I went ahead and got it as soon as I saw it in paperback which was around the summer time.

I had a few other books to read first but I started The One Plus One after my holiday so the end of September earlier October. One of the biggest mistakes I've made with Jojo's books in the past is that I read them too quick - I've finished most of the others over the space of a weekend and so this time I wanted to make this one last. Making this book last is harder than you would think especially when you enjoy it and its difficult to put down so its an accomplishment in itself that this book lasted me so long! Anyway onto what I think about the book...

You can read what the book is about from the link I've left above but its basically based on four characters who, as always with Jojo's characters are all totally likeable and relatable to. I always feel like I'm losing a friend once I finish one of her books as I become so hooked up and emotionally attached to the characters. I would say that the main themes of the book are family, relationships, love and hope. The chapters switch between narratives, which is a quality I've come to love in Jojo's books, so basically each new chapter will tell the story of events from a different character's perspective. This keeps things fresh and interesting in the way it hops from the point of view of say Jess a grown up woman to Nicky a teenage boy.

I'm really glad that I didn't let my initial feelings on the blurb put me off reading this book because I really enjoyed it. The One Plus One made me laugh out loud in places, it warmed my heart, gave me a lump in my throat and basically ticked all the boxes of an all round satisfying read. I was sad to finish this and hope that Jojo has another one on the way for us soon! Definitely a book to snuggle up with this winter and read if you haven't already.
 
QOTD: What book are you reading at the moment?

1 comment:

  1. Looks and sounds like a really lovely book. I'm currently reading a book about a geisha called Madame Sadayakko which is really interesting (have to for uni!).

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I always appreciate reading any comments I receive :)