Monday 8 June 2015

I Did Something A Little Crazy...

I signed up to do next years Bupa 10k! To some this may not sound like such a crazy thing but when you add into the mix that I'm not a runner, or have never done any running it suddenly becomes a little bit of a mad thing to do, signing up to say you will run 6.2 miles (in London!)... This is such an exciting albeit scary step and I can't wait to share the journey on my blog. 



What on earth possessed a girl who has never run to sign up to do a 10k? Well running is always something I've sort of wanted to get into doing but I've never been brave enough to actually take it up. Its just been so much easier for me to stay in my comfort zone and do something I knew - go to the gym, take classes. Then a few weeks ago I watched my friends from the gym complete the Bupa 10k: seeing all their triumphant pictures was definitely enough to get me inspired, so of course when they encouraged me to do it with them next year they added the fuel to my fire.

And so I sat on it for a few days. I gave it a good think. I weighed up the 'what ifs' (like what if I can't bloody do it!?) but in the end it was the 'what if I can actually do this?' that won the battle. It would be such an achievement. Actually this is exactly the kick up the butt I need to up my game and get a bit of motivation flowing in my system once again. I think with fitness its very important to set yourself goals so this is perfect for me, I've got a year to train and because I'm new to running this should work out really well.

I may be a beginner when it comes to running, but I'm not a beginner when it comes to fitness. I currently do plenty of other forms of exercise: spinning, boxing, weight lifting, yoga so I'd like to think I'm a relatively fit girl. Although I do understand running is an entirely different kettle of fish which is why I want to try and do this properly. So to get me started I've decided to follow a training plan designed exactly for beginners: Zero to 30 Minutes in six weeks. I'm going to post weekly updates along the way so expect to see a lot more fitness talk appear on my blog from now on.

Ps I've had a makeover! What do you think of the new look?

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! YAY!! You are going to be addicted after this race, btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope so it's very exciting 😀

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - I always appreciate reading any comments I receive :)